October 30, 2015

No Longer Risking It

This morning, was one beautiful morning. *insert beaming grin here*

I went in for my neurologist appointment – leaving at 630am with a 1 year old went surprisingly well – in the city today. I had been having a LOT less eye symptoms and feeling less pressure in my head in general. Still a few wooshes at night in my ears, but I was feeling pretty positive!

My optha-neurologist is just amazing, let’s first say that. He is so caring and encouraging, while never sugar coating the truth for me. And today, for the first time, I did not hear the words “this is risky” or “even though to continue this way is dangerous..” I only heard these beautiful words: “Oh wow, this is good.. see? This is what happens when I have a reliable patient and you listen to me, I will only need to see you every other month.. come back at the end of the year”

Wooooo! To further sweeten the morning, I asked him how far I had come and he stated that I am 75% healed!!!!! You guys, that’s only 25% left! I have almost cried with joy all day long.

The hard part, the scary part, the risky part, the you-could-lose-your-vision part.. is GONE. DONE. This is almost as exciting as a clean bill of health :)

In another 8 pounds, I will have hit his goal for me weight-wise, and I believe that at the end of December, I will hear the words that I no longer have Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension.

I would like to lose another ten pounds on top of his goal so that I am no longer overweight and would be in a healthy position for everything. I have not treated this like a crazy regime which I will quit once I hit the goal; but rather, I have just been eating things that are better for me (sometimes), eating smaller portions, and going for more walks than I usually do. I don’t want this to be a phase, I don’t want this to be something I did only for this cause, I want it to be my lifestyle.. so I have tried to keep it realistic. Let's face it, I just really enjoy eating. :)

I am not a person who can cut out sugar or gluten or chips completely, and I am not a person (yet.. anything can happen. Well anything other than cutting out the delicious aforementioned foods) who likes to go to the gym and work out like crazy. Has it been slower this way? Yes. However, it will be lasting and my Loving Father has protected me on the way. I cannot express my gratefulness enough :’)

So, I’m going to end with a quote that I read the other day that really really resonated with me, because I’m usually an All-or-Nothing kind of gal. It goes:

'Sometimes you fall off the wagon for months. Sometimes you tell yourself you're gonna start fresh on Monday and by Wednesday you've already fallen back off. Sometimes you have to restart a hundred times and it's frustrating. But it will be okay. You can do this. One day at a time' :)

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment