August 14, 2015

Not a Summary: Part 1

Where to begin? I am writing this for so many reasons. <3

1. I need to update a lot of people in my life about where I’m at; physically, mentally and spiritually and it’s just too much to text.

2. I need to write out my experiences that I’ve had over the last three weeks to do the final processing for myself.

3. If I have forgotten something I have promised to do, missed a hang out or haven’t texted you back recently; this post will explain why.

4. I hope that by sharing something personal, we can all feel a little more like we know each other and maybe others will share as well. I love the sense of connection and the bravery I see when people talk about their current situations instead of just saying; nothings new, you?

I don’t know how else to write this out, other than like a story of my last few months, with some personal thoughts stuck in at random. It will be lengthy, for I don’t really know how to summarize. I’ve never been good at that, so I’ll apologize in advance! The grammar will also be atrocious. Stick with me; it’s a happy ending J Here goes:

For many months after I had Alex, I was at a reasonable weight. Just a bit over what would be considered healthy at my height and age. I gained a bit after I stopped nursing, but nothing to be concerned about. I just needed to adjust my diet and portion sizes, this I knew. However, around April I had gained a bit more without changing anything for the worse and wasn’t losing like I normally would when I adjust things for the better. I also couldn’t seem to get myself to do much.. some days were okay, some days I felt like I had no energy, and most days I woke up feeling exactly like I did before I fell asleep, tired. I also had some nausea; I could hear the blood rushing in my ears and a few other things that were bothering me, so I decided to go to the clinic. Those of you who know me, know that I do not go to see the doctor very easily. They did some blood tests and an ultrasound.. but I never heard back. My mom told me to go ask for results because sometimes (doctors are also human) they don’t get around to telling you if something was wrong.. but I didn’t listen. At age 24 you should know by now that your mother knows things. Lol I was just too tired to do anything about it and too tired to care.

In the month of June I gained 20 pounds. 20 pounds in 30 days. And I just couldn’t seem to lose it. My blood pressure was up to about 150/105 and I started to see flashes of light, sparkles, floaters, streaks and I had headaches probably 4-5 days out of the week. I went back to the doctor. He said he couldn’t see anything wrong with my eyes but that I needed to go to the optometrist within 5 days. I asked him about my blood tests I had done in April and he took a look for me. Sure enough, my thyroid wasn’t working. I believe the term is Hypothyroidism. My understanding is that my body was creating anti-bodies against the hormone the thyroid creates; so it was no longer creating it. This completely explained the weight gain and the utter exhaustion. A part of me was sad that now I was told I had to be on pills for the rest of my life (again, those of you who know me, know that I will be seeking natural methods on top of the synthetic hormone from the doctor so that hopefully I won’t have to forever) and part of me was SO relieved that there was an explanation. I was not just a lazy, obese human. The guilt was lifted. Guilt is so useless anyways, I wish I would recognize that during the feeling as well.. lol oh well, lesson learned yet again!

On Friday, July 18th (a few days after seeing the doctor) I had my Optometrist appointment. They did a full exam and I don’t really know what I was expecting to hear; I was just thinking if I could lose weight, everything would go back to normal. However, she said to me: “I’m so glad you came in today.” And right away, I knew this wasn’t going to go the way I was hoping. She went on to tell me that my optic nerves were swollen and they needed to find out why. She was sending me straight to the ER to get a CT Scan. She said she didn’t think it would be this, but that we have to rule out the worst right away; brain tumors. Needless to say, a tear snuck its way out. That wasn’t a word I had ever imagined hearing. She was wonderful about it and told me that it wasn’t silly to react this way, handed me a tissue and gave me the privacy to call Trav. There were more tears during that phone call; I think they were shock tears (does it give such a thing?) and I said, I’m so scared Trav. I don’t want to have a brain tumor. *insert some hyperventilating here* and he said “I don’t know what to say babe”. His honesty somehow made me feel better. He said he would leave work and meet me at Boundary. The optometrist came back and said Manitoba Health (I think?) would cover everything and I could go straight there. Thank you for that MB Health. Trying to think about all the money I had to pay yet was not something I wanted to do.

I think I went through more emotions in that 10 minute drive to the hospital than I have in my whole life. Shock, to complete panic.. your mind goes places that aren’t very pretty. If I do actually have a brain tumor, how long is my surgery going to take. Will it be operable? Is it cancerous? What if I die on the table or go into some kind of coma? I am NOT prepared for Alex to grow up without a mama or a different mama. And I am NOT prepared for me to not have the rest of my life to love Travis.

Then I thought to myself; okay Steph, you can keep panicking and imagine every single what-if scenario OR you can choose to believe what you’ve been learning; that Jesus is exactly who Jesus said He was. Well, that hope sounded better than the current direction I was heading and I decided yes. I choose that. I got to the hospital and they took my blood pressure (way too high obviously) and then I waited for a bit. As I sat there I started thinking, wow imagine if my CT scan comes back clear, there are so many things I have been afraid of all my life or thoughts that I have wasted my energy on. Time to change that! Starting with people; if I feel like someone needs a friend or if God asks me to speak to or pray with someone, I’m going to do it! But as I sat there, with many people in the waiting room, I was hesitant to talk to any of them.. I don’t know what it is that holds us back; feels like fear to me. But I hate it. So I made myself walk over to an elderly lady on the other side of the room and told her “Hi I think I need to make a friend right now!” Haha not weird at all Steph. She said, “oh sure!” So we chatted and she shared why she was there (for someone else) and before I could offer to pray for them, I was called in for bloodwork. I felt good that I had met a new person, I hadn’t held myself back. While I was waiting for my bloodwork results, I heard the person that lady had brought in walk by (the nurse was discussing the problem) and I prayed over them as they walked past me, so I still got to do that! God is neat.

Trav then joined me and I had to try not to cry again; something about someone also caring what happens to you just brings on the tears. I was feeling a lot calmer though and I was finally able to get my CT scan. As I went in, my whole body was shaking but I felt completely fine on the inside, not a single worry. J That was a wonderful feeling. As I took out my nose ring I was struck with the memory of about a week ago; me having this very vision of taking out my nose ring to go through a machine. Interesting, why I would foresee that, I don’t know. Maybe that helped me to be less afraid. When they put the contrast in your veins (to get a better view of your brain etc.) it feels very warm. Having a warm brain is also a new one for me! This struck me as rather funny but is definitely something I don’t wish to repeat.

Once it was complete, they sent us back to the waiting room and I was thinking to myself; I’m singing in church this Sunday, how much more meaningful is it not going to be now that I’m going to have such an amazing testimony?! I was also proud of myself and the direction my thoughts were going instead of fear. Thank you, God. So I started quietly singing the set list through, a few times.. it kept my mind busy and worship always calms my soul. Whoever the other man was in the waiting room with us, he got an earful. Ha!

Finally we were called to another little room while we waited for the doctor. I had a few seconds of panic again as I realized that I was about to find out possibly some of the most important news of my life but Trav said, “Relax Steph, we already prayed about this, remember?” Immediately, I calmed down again. Yes, I had made my decision of what I believed. The doctor walked in and his first words were; “Your CAT Scan came back normal, so you can get that out of your thinking.”
Ohhhh man, the utter relief. There were no abnormalities, my brain looked good, my optic nerves looked normal, and I had no lurking brain tumors! Three happy tears escaped. He did a few eye tests and a couple of things with my peripheral vision and then he said I would need to go see a neurologist so that they can figure out what exactly is going on. Sounded good to me! I wasn’t going to die :D I realize that may have been an overreaction but it’s truly how I felt; like I had just received a free pass on life! We left that hospital in good spirits, full of thankfulness and ready to tackle whatever came our way next.

To Be Continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment